Back to work today, and my goal is to wrap up loose ends. My last three paintings are not quite finished, so it’s time to take care of that.
Then I worked on pooch portrait. The left side floor area had been bothering me, so I went radical and applied dark earth green, covering the ocher/brown tones. Then I repainted the couch to try to both unify the shape and help the canine separate from the background.
I then turned attention to the portrait of my sister. Something about it just didn’t gel. In addition, my mom didn’t think it looked like her. I think my use of orange/red tones was a factor.
If someone’s mom doesn’t like a portrait of their kid, it demands attention.
I started by darkening the background, to try to achieve better separation between foreground and background. I stuck with the warm tones, but am not convinced it’s the right way to go. Next session, I’ll probably try to cool off the background.
I think just darkening the value is helping, but does not quite do the trick.