Back to the studio today. First I tried to finish organizing the colored paper and tissue that I took out of my now departed flat files.
Then I turned back to the portrait. I started with the background, adding opaque earth green mix over the glaze I put on last week. I needed to have some help re-shaping the top of the head, and the green created the new boundaries.
I focused on the plate of spaghetti, adding layers of browns and yellows.
Stepping back, I realized the background was not dark (value) enough when compared to the figure, so I took it down a few notches.
I then added shading to the top of the head, and worked the shading under eyes, nose and lips.
I think it’s just about done. Time to put aside and start something else.
Below is a montage of my studio view from my easel. Apologies to David Hockney.